Things to Do in Southend


Hello everybody!

This summer I went on several trips to Southend, so I have compiled some of the places I’ve been to into today’s blog post ‘Things to Do in Southend’. Previously, I just went to Southend for a walk along the seafront and shopping in the high street but this year I decided to investigate what else I could do whilst I was there and I found a lot more than I expected; from museums to art galleries and gardens to nature reserves!




Old Leigh
Old Leigh is an old fishing village, also known as “The Old Town” area of Leigh-on-Sea. The village comprises of a high street along the sea front featuring craft shops, fish and chip shops, pubs, cafes and a museum. At the end of the high street, there is a small but award winning beach. I went to Leigh on one of the hottest days in August and I could not believe how many people were packed onto the beach! So if you’re going just for the beach, on a very hot day, make sure you arrive early! 
When I’m in Old Leigh I always stop by The Lynn Tait Gallery Gift Shop, as there are so many lovely cards and gifts to choose from. Some of the cards are even designed by local artists. At the back of the shop you can also find a restored old Southend-On-Sea Pier Train.


Chalkwell Beach
On my latest trip to Leigh-on-Sea I walked along the coast path to get a better picture of the boats and before I knew it I’d arrived at Chalkwell Beach! The path is tarmacked and reasonably wide, however there is no railing and quite a drop and even though there are several signs saying not to cycle along the path, many people were, so it’s important to be careful if you’re going to walk along the path.

Chalkwell Beach is a long, spacious and family-friendly beach with amenities such as an ice-cream shop/café and a bowling green. The beach is also literally a one minute walk from Chalkwell Train Station (which for years I’ve called The Cloud Station as all I could see out the train windows were clouds). When my mother was a child this was always their beach of choice, as the area is quite calm and relaxing compared to the more popular and busy beaches further along in Southend-On-Sea.


Cliffs Pavilion
Whenever there’s a theatre tour that I want to see I always check if it’s going to the Cliffs Pavilion in Westcliff. I prefer going to the Cliffs Pavilion than to the West End as it’s much easier to get to than Central London. Before the show starts you can have a bite to eat in the café which has floor to ceiling windows overlooking the sea. There are also a few benches outside which is great if you are going to an early afternoon show as you can take a picnic to eat with views of the sea and the cliff gardens. My favourite show that I’ve seen there is Strictly Confidential as Strictly Come Dancing is definitely my favourite TV talent show.   

Beecroft Art Gallery
I heard about the Beecroft Art Gallery during my work experience as they regularly display costumes made by students from the Costume Construction Course at South Essex College which is in partnership with the Royal Opera House. I was very interested to see the display as I am considering taking the course in the future as I would love to become a costume designer and learn how to make tutus.

As well as having permanent displays of historic local art such as old posters of the pier, the art gallery also regularly hosts exhibitions. During my visit they were exhibiting artwork by a local artist named Maurice Dolphin, and whilst we were looking at his work he suddenly appeared behind us! This was pretty cool and lucky as he was able to explain each of his paintings; why he decided to paint them, the colours he chose and the materials he used. The gallery also has a gift shop; I chose an Edgar Degas pin which was perfect as I have been studying him recently in Art.

Next door to the Beecroft Art Gallery is the Central Museum and Southend Planetarium so you can easily visit both in one day.

Prittlewell Priory
As we walked through the door we were greeted by a very helpful guide who gave us a mini tour of the building and explained about it’s past.

During the dissolution of the monasteries the priory became a private house. Today the priory houses a museum where you can learn more about the people who lived there and local wildlife. The museum is free to enter and also has several interactive games and activities such as a large board game.

The Priory is surrounded by a large park; Priory Park – not to be confused with Prittlewell Park which is nearer Southend Centre. Near to the Priory is a walled garden complete with a fountain, seating and many bright flower beds. Through an archway in the back of the walled garden is a further garden with lavender covered arches making this a great area to relax and to practice your photography.



Southend Pier
Southend Pier is the longest pleasure pier in the world! Tickets start from £1 to walk the 1.34 miles and there are many seating areas to stop along the way to take photos of the boats out at sea (I went during the Thames Barge Match so there were a lot of boats that day) without being in the way of everyone else who’s walking down the pier. Alternatively you can take the pier train which runs every 30 minutes. At the end of the pier you can find the café in which Jamie and Jimmy's Friday Night Feast is filmed staring the famous chef Jamie Oliver! There is also a RNLI gift shop and boat house as well as The Royal Pavilion which is used as a theatre and a space for art exhibitions.

On either side of the pier is Adventure Island which is the UK’s no.1 free admission fun park, however you obviously have to pay for a wristband to go on the rides, at least family or friends who don’t really like rides can come in with you. There are also “pay as you go rides” which include adventure golf, dodgems and an Arcade.  




Thorpe Bay Beach
The beach huts at Thorpe Bay Beach are so pretty! The beach is a mixture of both pebbles and sand so it’s possible to build both sand castles and collect sea shells, which are my top two things to do at a beach. The beach huts make the area really picturesque, relaxing and great for photography.


Gunners Park and Shoebury Ranges Nature Reserve
When I visited Gunners Park back in June the Poppies Wave was on display. The poppies were originally part of the installation ‘Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red’ at the Tower of London in autumn 2014, and have recently been on tour around the UK. The Poppies Wave is currently on display at the CWGC Plymouth Naval Memorial until November 19th.

Until 1998 the land was used as a gun range by the Royal Artillery and many of the structures including stores, casemates, magazines, gun emplacements and batteries can still be seen today. The park is now a nature reserve run by the Essex Wildlife Trust incorporating more than 12 habitats for wildlife. I could not believe how blue the water was in the lake! There is also a small café and many benches to bring a picnic.



I hope you enjoyed reading my post! Follow me on Instagram @emily.m.adventures and @princessemily_m for daily updates, and Twitter @EmilyMAdventure for info on my next blog post.

Emily M x

Comments

Popular Posts

Follow